Select a ligand or receptor to learn more
Learn about other key players of the Ang–Tie pathway and view a timeline of key discoveries...
Vascular stability 1,5,6
Under normal conditions, Ang-1 is expressed at higher levels than Ang-2, maintaining vascular homeostasis.
In healthy vessels, Ang-1–Tie2 signalling promotes vascular stability by maintaining endothelial cell integrity and cell junctions.
Vascular instability 1,9-11
Under pathologic conditions, Ang-2 and VEGF are upregulated following an angiogenic switch (shift in the balance of pro- and anti-angiogenic factors).
Ang-2 competes with Ang-1 for binding to the Tie2 receptor. Ang-2–Tie2 binding leads to inhibition of Tie2.
Ang-2 and VEGF drive vascular instability characterised by:
- Vascular leakage
Take a closer look at vascular instability and downstream effects of Ang–Tie signalling...
Preclinical evidence has shown that Ang-2 and VEGF have distinct effects but also work together to drive vascular instability characterised by vascular leakage, neovascularisation, and inflammation.7,13-15
Uncover the evidence supporting the role of Ang-2 in retinal diseases...
AMD, age-related macular degeneration; Ang, angiopoietin; DME, diabetic macular edema; DR, diabetic retinopathy; IVT, intravitreal; nAMD, neovascular age-related macular degeneration; PDR, proliferative diabetic retinopathy; RVO, retinal vein occlusion; Tie, tyrosine kinase with immunoglobulin-like domains; VEGF, vascular endothelial growth factor; VEGFR, vascular endothelial growth factor receptor.
- Saharinen P, et al. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2017;16:635–61
- Chakravarthy U, et al. Retina. 2018;38:343–51
- Swaroop A, et al. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2009
- Ciulla TA, et al. Ophthalmol Retina. 2020;4:19–308
- Felcht M, et al. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:1991–2005
- Hakanpaa L, et al. Nat Commun. 2015;30;6:5962
- Regula JT, et al. EMBO Molecular Med. 2016;8(11):1265–88
- Huang H, et al. Nat Rev Cancer. 2010;10:575–85
- Klaassen I, et al. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2013;34:19–48
- Bolinger MT, et al. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:1498
- Fiedler U, Augustin HG. Trends Immunol. 2006;27:552–8
- Regula JT, et al. EMBO Mol Med. 2019;11:e10666
- Benest AV, et al. PLoS One. 2013;8:e70459
- Chakravarthy U, et al. Presented at ARVO May 2020, Virtual Meeting
- Fiedler U, et al. Nat Med. 2006;12:235–9